2.23.2012

I am not ready for this

A few days ago, Zina comes up to me with one of her new dresses on (thanks ma for taking them shopping). She's turning side to side with her hands clasped, expecting me to admire. Of course I do; how could I not? Then she surprises me with, "Mom, does this dress make me look fat?" I was utterly shocked for a half-second and then turned pissed. She's six years old people! I calmly say, "Where did you learn that?" She tells me and then we have the talk. I get right to the point that such a question is ridiculous and won't be tolerated in this home. I don't use that word. We use words that talk about how you feel, not what you look like: healthy and not healthy, strong and not strong, etc. But now I'm wondering if in my attempt to let her know what a big deal it is (and it's a huge deal - I will not raise girls who hate themselves) I wonder if I used too much toughness and not enough gentleness. I was totally unprepared for this event. Which is usually how important parenting moments hit you, right when you weren't expecting it.

But here's my big fear. Did she even hear me? Did she hear me loving her and telling her I think she's marvelous and I'll always be here to nourish her or is the voice of the world becoming stronger than mine? I'll never stop fighting the base things of this world; I'll never stop trying to implement into my children the things that I believe in most: God, love, freedom, courage, power, honor, and agency. But is my voice loud enough? Will they choose to listen? I really really hope so.

No comments: