This was sent to me from the Daily Gems from lds.org. I liked it but am not sure how to quite do it.
"What can . . . young mother[s] [do] . . . to reduce the pressure [of raising young children] and enjoy [their families] more? . . . "Recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction. "Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: 'The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less' (Loud and Clear [1004], 10-11)."
Russel M Nelson
2 comments:
Lizza..in the back of my mind I've needed to call you for about a MILLION things. But I for some reason can't get to it. (Probably because every time I remember, I realize that only Rob has your #)
Anyway - 1. I wanted to tell you that like three months ago I got the booties and pajamas. Thank you for both. 2. Would love to get together as SOON as my life settles. My weekends are shot for the next few weeks - but my weekdays are generally pretty good. 3. I'm glad you didn't stop blogging. I LOVE visiting your family via internet.
So, call me - and if I don't answer, leave me a message...WITH your phone number.
With the twins, people are always asking me how I'm doing and what it's like. I say that it really is just moment to moment. This morning was hellish and this afternoon is quite pleasant. Last night was good and the other night was awful. Honestly, I don't really like the Anna Quindlen quote because it makes me feel guilty. I mean, yes, that is how we will feel looking back, but I'm just not sure it's realistic to expect young mothers (or anyone, really) to savor each moment and not be thinking about dinner, the late library books, and getting the bills paid.
Oh, and I love the new time out. Ha ha.
Post a Comment