3.06.2008

Cheerios are not so Cheery

I got out of my shower this morning to Zina at the bathroom door, as usual. Mostly she asks me if I need a towel, but today she was super excited about something. "I 'pill." Uh-oh, what did you spill, Zina? I go in the kitchen and am greeted by an ENTIRE box of Cheerios all over my floor and table and chairs. I can't understand why she was so proud of herself. The best part? They were Honey Nut, with just the right amount of left over cereal bowl milk to make the whole thing sticky.

I remember hearing in Church many years ago from a mother who said that children aren't trials. I admired her attitude and wanted to be like that. Now that I am a mother, I completely disagree. Is it because I'm selfish? Getting 10 minutes of peace in the shower does not equal to 30 minutes of cleaning up sticky cheerios.

2 comments:

MaMa Nelson said...

That can sure be frustrating Lizza but nothing to loose sleep over. Just pray that she doesn't choose to go to India when she gets bigger. I would love sometimes to go back to the somewhat humerus cheerios days. I sure love you.
Momma Nelson

Ben and Kimberly McEvoy said...

One thing I have learned with Jeddy he will entertain and fullfill his needs himself.

So I can either let a 3 year old be in charge of his fulfilment and entertainmnet (coloring onthe walls, making his own food, cleaning up his own poopy underware) Or Ican be in charge. I can designate it is playdoh time. we are going to play in your room with your toys. we are goign to make a big mess now and create what ever art we want to. My hardest Job is chanelling Jeddy's energy and creativity into mediums I approve of. thus I dont really trust him alone . .ever. He reads books in the bathroom if I shower. He mops the floor with me- and is a good helper.
It is a balancing act giving your kids the freedom to be them and to learn and grow and explore while getting the basic needs for yourself met. But luckily you have family close by. You can take an afternoon off, drop zina with Amy, your parents or someone. I have to pay a sitter. so long story short I hear ya on not getting 10 minutes of peace! try to make your world and her world more cohesive. find activities you both enjoy . . .finger painting, eating the roots of grass, walks/ yoga (madisen loves to do yoga with me, jeddy is more of a runner), The better you guys work together, the more functional your day will be.

Just some thoughts, not that I am any better of a mother . . .but I have definitely cleaned up my share of sticky goo!