
(He's the one on the right.)
My dad turned 67 today. I've entered that stage of life where time stands still even as it moves forward. I'm pretty sure my dad is actually somewhere in his 40's. And I'm still in my early 20's. Regardless, this is why I love my dad.
1. He and his friend Don Fossum have a tradition where they wear these glasses to all of his kid's weddings. This picture is from my wedding 8 years ago. My father does not take himself seriously.
2. He has the biggest heart. I don't understand men who don't show emotion or sensitivity and think that that's "manly." My dad always wears his emotions on his sleeve unashamed and we are all better people for it. He sheds tears during a tender moment and expresses his love constantly. He is so quick to forgive and doesn't harbor grudges.
3. He will be your best friend in under three minutes. I have seen him talk to strangers his whole life. He treats each one like a long lost friend, dying to catch up. He truly believes he has something to learn from every person on this planet. Consequently, he is dear friends with people who everyone else thinks is "weird." But my dad always sees the core of someone and always believes there is goodness there.
4. He always took the time for me when I was going through something hard. He would drop everything he was doing and just sit with me, never judging my stupid decisions or feelings. I always felt safe to tell him things I was scared to tell anyone else. I got lectured plenty of times, but I don't ever remember feeling condemned.
5. He loves telling stories. I love hearing his stories. I always wanted my mom to talk about her childhood but she doesn't really open up. My dad has story after hilarious story about his life and the people who helped shape it. Even things that weren't great he can turn an optimistic spin on. He knows a lot about his family history and I'm so glad that my children will hear about their great great grandma as if she was a real person. He's bridged the gap between the generations.
6. He is a fantastic cook. Homemade pizza and ice cream, omelets, schnitzel and chimis are family favorites. He still cooks a giant Sunday dinner for everyone's birthday. He feels duty bound that all visitors to his house are well fed, even if you just dropped something off.
7. He took his family to live in Germany for 2 years when we were all kids. He wanted us to have an international experience. Because of that, all of us are in love with Europe, love to travel, and love to explore other cultures. My parents did a fantastic job at bringing culture to their kids. He did 10 (I lost count) study abroads to Vienna and New Zealand, bringing what children could come.
8. He served his mission in Germany and Italy. He still speaks German and Italian. Sometimes he'll even say the prayer in one of those languages if you catch him on a good day and beg and beg and beg.
9. He was a fantastic teacher. I took his class on study abroad and got to see my dad in a professional light. He literally changes lives. So many people adore him and feel connected to him. He doesn't just teach about a subject, he teaches about life. I know so many students who honor and respect my dad after study abroad or taking his class. (PS if you're one of them, email him birthday wishes. jimsjacobs@gmail.com)
10. He's a outstanding home teacher. When I was serving my mision, we went to some random persons house. I can't even remember why. We all got talking and the bizarre connection was made that his little old lady with a cane was home taught by my dad for years. Instantly she softens even more and goes on and on about how much she loves my dad and what a great home teacher he was. I feel like that's what happens when I tell people who my dad is. "Oh, you're Jim Jacobs' daughter?" Eyes all lit up and the praise starts pouring out. (My dad hates praise. He cut my speech short at his surprise retirement party.)
That's my dad. He's not perfect and he'll be the first to admit it. But he never gives up on working towards perfection, in his eyes meaning that people love each other and get along. That's his greatest desire. (That's what he always wanted for birthday. "Can't you just stop fighting for one day?") And he is great example of loving people for who they are, not who he thinks they should be. A characteristic we all would do well to adopt.
Happy Birthday Papa Bear. I love you.
2 comments:
Your dad is simply the most wonderful man. Ever. I miss him so much and think of him so often. I'll never forget the impact he had on my life. I adore him. Please wish him a very happy birthday! XO
such a great post filled with warmth and love- lots of memories came to my mind as I read. LOve your dad! Thanks Jim for always making feel like I was part of the family!
Post a Comment