7.26.2011

Big Sigh (of relief?)

You ever have those days where you want to cash in your adulthood for a ticket back to childhood innocence, a world made up of penny candies and water parks? In the past few weeks, our van door broke, our swamp cooler doesn't work, the dryer is kaput, and we have mold in the downstairs room. I surrender! I know these are small problems and my life has many more wonderful things compared to horrible things. But that's not really the issue. Life is full of good and bad, very much in the same breath. How we digest both is one of the best markers of who we are. What all of this has caused me to reflect on is the difference between what's happening to me and how I feel about it. For me, hardship always takes the form of an internal battle. I give in too easily to discouragement and get overwhelmed over the slightest discomforts. I have since childhood and I marvel at people who seem to have this endless reserve of hope. But I also believe we have the ability to change in deep and pure ways, especially through divine power. God and I have been having these little talks over the past several months and now I marvel at me and this new reserve of hope I have that I didn't once have. Do all these things happening suck? Yes. Am I totally frustrated that as soon as I feel like we're getting a bit ahead financial things like this happen? Yes. Am I letting it disturb my balance and sense of hope? Nope. Do I feel like that no matter what our future brings I have the ability to tap into an eternal well of peace and comfort? Yes, I do. I might not feel this way tomorrow, but I am so grateful that I'm feeling it now. Maybe this is no big deal to you. Maybe you're one of those people who seem to handle life's challenges with a natural grace. But for the people in your life that don't (and I know you know at least one), don't give up on them. They can change. And your love and example will help them discover a better path.

1 comment:

Harris Family said...

love it! I hope all the issues get resolved. It always does right?! I just read this after yelling at my gen contractor about all the wrong things that are happening. then feeling foolish I let my emotions get the best of me- what small issues right? Life is a TEST!