But let's take a look at the reality, shall we? I myself was only awakened to the true weather state of this state just a few years ago, though I've lived my whole life here. It happened in 2008, the year I was pregnant with Elsie and had a little toddler with severe cabin fever. March was horrific. Just extended winter. April came and I was so excited to get to the park and wear short sleeves. That didn't happen until mid-June. We'd wake up day after day to snow, cold, wet. Even in May. Don't believe me? Here's my list of reminders for people who think we have four seasons.
1. Every year the pool opens at the end of May and NO ONE is there for two or three more weeks.
2. It has snowed at the end and during every April that I can remember. My tulips have yet to been covered at one point or another with two inches of snow. It also usually snows in May. Sometimes it snows close to June.
3. We go down to Spring City for Memorial Day every year. When I look at pictures, we are usually huddled together with our hair crazy everywhere, sweatshirts and freezing wind. Once in awhile we are wearing short sleeves and basking in the sun.
4. I don't turn my heater off until mid-June. Sometimes even closer to July. Then the heater gets turned back on in September or October. We have three months in the year where houses don't need to be artificially warmed.
This all being said, I am grateful to live in a place with blossoms. I went to Denver last year and was blown away at how few flowers and blossoming trees I saw. No one planted them and the city didn't put them in public places. I do enjoy the colored trees and spring flowers that is everywhere in Utah. That's how I survive.
So, only six more weeks of winter!! I'm counting down.
No comments:
Post a Comment