11.23.2009

First child

I just finished "The Red Tent" and although it was too sexual at times, loved the read. The writing was divine and I'm wondering why so many people are heady for Twilight when really wonderful and beautiful stories are waiting to fill our lives...

This is one of my favorite paragraphs that I wanted to share. It's what a mother is thinking after she holds her first baby right after delivering.

There should be a song for women to sing at this moment, or a prayer to recite. But perhaps there is none because there are no words strong enough to name that moment. Like every mother since the first mother, I was overcome and bereft, exalted and ravaged. I had crossed over from girlhood. I beheld myself as an infant in my mother's arms, and caught a glimpse of my own death. I wept without knowing whether I rejoiced or mourned. My mothers and their mothers were with me as I help my baby.

1 comment:

Happy-Hardings said...

that is really beautiful.