6.25.2007
Garden
I did NOT grow up with any kind of gardening or fruit trees, or even plants. My childhood memories of any kind of yard work included every few years all the kids weeding ALL DAY one Saturday, never planting anything, and going to Wendy's as a treat when we were done. My mom now has a beautiful yard- rose bushes and gorgeous flowers in the front. Jared on the other hand has had plenty of childhood gardening/farming memories and doesn't seem so excited when I tell him I want several fruit trees and a big garden. A friend lent me a square foot gardening book (thank you Erin!) and I got HOOKED. I bought my own copy and got so excited to put some in our yard. They are so much more low mantainence and produce just as much as a big row garden. Here are the beginnings of my VERY first garden EVER! I thought I'd feel so grown up when I got married, then a mortgage payment, then a baby. But honestly it's the garden, folks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I totally know what you feel like Lizza! It's great! My parents also were never into gardening (but weeding:) ) but Robin's side has fruit and nut trees, a vegetable and an extra fruit garden. We brought home bags and bags full of cherries 2 weeks ago!
Anyhow, I put up my very (high) raised bed in the garden and I can't help but my heart swells to overflowing when I see the pumpkin, zucchini and cucumber plants exlpoding into unimaginable size! Get out your tissue and weep for joy! :)
We have raised garden boxes too, but I think we're going to wait until next year to start our garden.
Isn't it funny the kind of reading material we suddenly find absolutely fascinating when we have a house? Tim is currently reading a book on how to take care of the lawn and he loves it. He wants me to get him his own copy for his birthday.
Post a Comment